Ok, time to introduce bookmark of the week (BOTW).
A good article in itself, that links you to the Gartner site. There we find a couple of interesting video snippets:
Phil Allega on the role of an enterprise architect: (note, these are across both buisness & technology)
- identify business obstacles
- discover opportunities for efficiency & consolidation
- mirror to the strategy – help the business understand how the execution of their grand strategy is playing out (I guess this helps with fine-tuning)
- future impact specialist – what are the short, medium and long-term business and technology impacts of decisions we make today?
- steward of all interrelationships in the EA, be they between business processes, the technology that support them and so on. Basically, stewards of the ‘EA’ (the core business processes and technology that support the execution of the business’ operating model – Ross et al)
Brian Burke on CFOs and Enterprise Architects – EA can contribute to key areas of interest for CFO:
- capitalising on market changes to driving business growth – identify coming trends & ensure the business is ready [ie has the right foundation for execution] to either lead or be a fast follower
- reducing costs – EA has visibility of business assets & how they can be rationalised, and buisness project portfolio & which can be culled because they are no longer aligned with strategy
- measuring business performance – providing models that facilitates this – such as (ta-daaa) the “Gartner Business Value Model”. TODO: find out what this is.